Tuesday, 28 October 2014

He Writes... About The 'A Letter From Adam' Premiere (in KNUST)

I was commissioned to write this review for CypressGH, therefore I co-blog this post with him.





After emceeing during a religious gig, you could imagine how I run back to my hostel for a quick change in time to make it to Lydia Forson’s A Letter From Adam premiering on KNUST campus (courtesy ISEL media doing a wonderful job this semester bringing in the most-talked about motion pictures of the year).




I called up Sandra, my reviewing partner, and courtesy Isel Media again(!), I called up all the winners of the tickets I gave away on my blog to be sure they’d 
make an appearance. I was set to kick movie arse…

Until Sandra called up and said, “Why are you even going so early, we’d get there and as always it wouldn’t begin at seven, neither would it at eight.”

Truth. So I sank back into my bed in my premiere clothes.

Fuck, I couldn’t sleep; tossed and turned, wondered if I’d be better of hanging myself from the ceiling fan. Blame this on my anticipation to watch this ever-discussed title among movie enthusiasts.

After dragging Sandra from her hostel, we reached the venue of the premiere (CCB) at seven thirty. And found out we were late! Yes, you read that right. Whenever did Ghanaians ever become serious towards time? Or was it Isel Media’s determination to begin exactly on said-time? (I later found out it was the latter).

We walked into the theatre, to my surprise, the movie had already began and––wait for this––the venue was filled to the brim! How we found seats was a surprise. I casted one “You see what you done to us” look at Sandra, and we began watching…

Only we couldn’t really hear a sound where we were seated. Just when I was about to throw more blame on Sandra, I screwed my eyes through the dark to spot the front-row seats. My jaw dropped.

They. Were. Empty.

Again, I pulled Sandra up, and distracting everyone with the click-clack of her heels, we made the discovery that over ten rows of seats in the front-row section were empty. Why everyone began taking their seats from the middle row backwards was a surprise to me. But I’d later find out the super-loud sound from the giant speakers made the movie experience in the front-row seats similar to viewing a horror flick: heck, we jumped from our seats anytime a character whispered!

MY REVIEW

I did love this movie. The storyline was good. Not fresh, very Cecilia Ahearn’s P.S I Love You, but tweaked in a way that doesn’t rival the movie mentioned. Sadly. Girl has been heartbroken so many times, falls in love with an older guy, his deranged ex-wife stalks them, he dies, she’s left a letter he wrote to her when he was alive to gain closure and get on with her life. With a piece like this, I really thought whoever did the script could have intensified it to portray spousal loss and the strength to move on.

Lydia Forson was wise to make this her first production. I know of one actress whose first production wasn’t worth viewing despite the massive turn-out. As I said the storyline was unique to the Ghanaian movie scene, but not so internationally since lots of movies have been done to toe 2007 ‘s hit (P.S I Love You). But all in all, it wasn’t a big flop. Was good. But I felt it could have been done better.

Or shot better? I think the scene transitions were quite quick, and with a movie elevating such dense themes such as loss, the transition between scenes should have been extended a bit (when all actions were over) for these themes/lessons readily available in this movie to sink into the audience.

Celestial scenes photoshopped on
 KNUST campus


I loved the humour in this title. The audience did too. But I think it became too humorous when it got to the part Lydia had to portray a woman suffering through her loss, so much that the actress found it hard to get serious. Major chink in the title. The main character. Anima (Lydia Forson), was struggling so much to nail the serious scenes, by acting, well, serious.

The script was so very conventional. So many quotes used in this title weren’t unique to it. Naa Ashorkor who plays the friend offering steadfast advice had lines that were so-heard-before in most movies.

All the actors delivered. I completely revered Wale Ojo (playing Adam) who nailed his role perfectly. The audience were also quite fond of Louie Lartey–whose stunts as the ever-persistent feature in Anima’s life– brought lots of humour into the title.

Louie Lartey. Go me! I'm not as drab as I appear on screens!




















Wale Ojo and Lydia. We'd rather be snogging Lydia than attending our premieres

All in all, it was a good movie. Wouldn’t call it OK, it was above OK. But I just felt more could have been done.

My rating: 7/10

Average Audience rating: (if you really care about what they thought… I gathered a sample of ten) 8.75/10

A Letter From Adam could be purchased at renowned CD shops in the country.

Shoe in my encounter with Funny Face and my little chat with the cool, calm, collected Lydia Forson which would be featured in my next blog post, and this review would be complete. I have kept my pee too long all through the event (getting yelled at with every whisper keeps you on your toes), and now I would have to take my leave to go be in the bathroom in peace.

Your Sometimes Very Misbehaved Representative,

Kobby Tetteh Gyampoh.
(Comment on this post, share and stand a chance of winning GHC 10 worth of credit (any preferable network) this Friday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a comment. Thanks for reading the blog